Friday, January 22, 2010

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez



Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera" is an epic love story of two people who first fall in love as children, separate, lead their separate lives and are brought back together at the end of their lives.

Probably my favorite book of all time. Every sentence takes your breath away. I found this title deeply moving and was completely taken with every moment of each character's life. I've read this book several times and each time ended with tears in my eyes. Marquez is a master of poetic fiction and this book is written in rich and beautiful prose. Even in an English translation, the language is musical, picturesque and poetic.

Love in the Time of Cholera is not a reading experience, it is a life experience. If you choose to read it, do so uninterrupted, slowly, and with great attention. You will be rewarded with a great love story of an ill-fated love between two members of a small town in South America, and the story of their courting, a courting that lasts for over half a century.

I've recently watched the movie too, they hardly do any justice when they convert a book into a movie, but it was pretty ok. To give anymore details would be cruel, just go ahead and read the book first then watch the movie, you'll know yourself ;)

5 comments:

fasha comeback again said...

Blogwalking greetings from INDONESIA to your side of world! Take care!
follow my blog..
follow my blog..
folllow my blog..
follow my blog please..
okay,love you ;)

Kanwalful said...

Oh I'm totally going to add this to my Sunday Bazar buying book list :)

Palwasha N. Minhas said...

Fasha - Following :)

Kanwal-ka-ful: You should! You will love it.

Who's your favorite author? and current favorite book? I need some suggestion. And have you read Danielle steel? I love her! If you haven't read her yet. You should give it a try.

Juliana said...

Oh...I am new to your blog and I have that book on my bed side table. I really look forward to following your blog. It is always great to meet new bloggy friends.~Juliana with A Blonde Walked Into A Blog

Palwasha N. Minhas said...

Hey juliana.. Loved your blog! Thank you for your lovely comment and for following. Welcome! :D

And Do let me know when you're finish reading the book.